Colorado potato beetle - modern pest control technologies
The Colorado potato beetle belongs to the group of gnawing pests and is especially dangerous for nightshade crops. In the process of historical development, Colorado beetles acquired the ability to survive in almost any environmental condition. So, under adverse conditions, adults fall into prolonged hibernation and can easily tolerate hunger. Their larvae have a huge appetite, eating almost around the clock. A huge advantage in the struggle for the survival of the species of the Colorado potato beetle provides the acquired ability to enhanced reproduction. One female lays up to 30,000 viable eggs during the warm period. The duration of the development of the latter from an egg to an adult imago is 20 days. Beetles have practically no natural enemies (except humans). They are poisonous to a large list of other species of fauna.
How to get rid of the Colorado potato beetle?
In the fall, fleeing from uncomfortable weather conditions, Colorado beetles leave for the winter in non-freezing layers of the soil. They feed mainly on young plants of early weeds with an attractive smell and taste. Gradually, beetles occupy their favorite nightshade: potatoes, eggplant, etc., on which eggs are laid on the bottom of leaf blades - up to 30 in a clutch. After 14-15 days, larvae hatch from the eggs. For 20 days, as it develops, the larva changes color from red-brown to bright orange, after which it is buried in the ground, where it pupates and, finally formed, comes to the surface for further reproduction. During the warm period, one adult bug can produce up to 4 generations of different ages. Larvae of several generations are capable of leading to a 100% death of the crop within 2 to 4 days, destroying the aerial part of the culture.
Fans of homemade young potatoes with extensive experience in growing it use several methods that help reduce the number of gluttonous insects:
- planting potatoes under a layer of mulch;
- pollination of potato leaves with finely sifted ash (fly ash);
- the use of insecticide plants that repel pests, planted together with the main crop: beans, sidun beans, bush beans, spring garlic, coriander, etc .;
- “Aromatic” infusions and decoctions for spraying: onion and garlic husks, nut concentrate, ash, marigolds, etc., adding solutions to the hole when planting potatoes;
- The use of infusion of Colorado beetles.
Colorado beetles are poisonous and infusions from them can kill living members of this family. Preparation: 0.5 l jar of beetles / 10 l of water. Close the container tightly. After a week, a concentrated infusion of drowned beetles is ready for use. Strain 1 liter of concentrate and dilute with 2 liters of water. Sprinkle the plants during the onset and mass hatching of the larvae.
Naturally, folk methods do not destroy pests. They only reduce their number, anticipating epiphytotic reproduction. Chemicals are more effective in combating the Colorado potato beetle and other pests. Currently, to fully protect vegetables and other crops from pests, specialists have developed chemical agents that can destroy them within a few days without harming the environment and the quality of the products grown.
The Technoexport company has developed a number of drugs that effectively protect potato and other nightshade crops from the Colorado potato beetle. The importance of drugs and an increase in user requests are always increased with their ability to destroy several types of pests. One of these drugs is Komandor, developed by the company's specialists.
Characteristics of the drug "Commander"
The drug "Commander" refers to systemic contact insecticides and is characterized by the ability to destroy rodent and sucking insects pests. It consists of imidacloprid, which penetrates into all parts of plants and, falling into the gastrointestinal tract when feeding the pest, causes its paralysis and death within 2 - 3 days. For 3 days, the drug completely destroys the pest. The composition of the Komandor preparation is effective not only against the Colorado potato beetle, but also causes the death of a wide range of other insect pests: wireworm, scoops, aphids, bedbugs, butterflies, whiteflies, fleas, thrips, leafworms, all kinds of flies. The “Commander” has been used against the Colorado potato beetle for more than 10 years, and has earned high confidence in its effectiveness in pest control.
In terms of speed and long-term impact on pests, the Komandor preparation is a real salvation during the massive invasion of the Colorado potato beetle on potatoes and other nightshade ones. The tool for the complete destruction of the pest has no competitors in the protection of green plants.
Positive properties of the drug "Commander"
- One treatment per season is sufficient.
- The drug destroys up to 100% of the pests within 2 to 3 days.
- Long-term effect of the drug (the period of active exposure is from 2 to 3 weeks).
- It does not depend on weather conditions: it is practically not washed off by rain, it is not exposed to the sun and high temperatures.
- It has no harmful effects on soil and the environment.
- It does not accumulate in the emerging crop.
Preparation of working solutions
Commander is a liquid emulsion water-soluble concentrate (WRC) of imidacloprid (200 g ai / 1 liter of liquid). The working solution is prepared on the day of spraying. Unused solution is disposed of in a designated place. Store the solution is prohibited.
For processing potato bushes, the consumption rate is 1 ampoule (1 ml) per 5 l of water. The drug is also suitable for the treatment of other crops damaged by gnawing insects. The accompanying recommendations indicate the dilution rate of the drug.
Enhanced Pest Management Technologies
Most pests are good adaptants and quickly develop resistance to drugs with prolonged use. In order to forestall the development of sustainability and enhance the effect of drugs on pests, tank mixtures are used in professional agricultural chemistry. They mix drugs with different properties that are compatible in chemical composition. With self-preparation of the tank mixture, it is necessary to check the compatibility of the substances used each time, to observe the concentration of the drugs during dilution. Technoexport specialists developed a professionally prepared reinforced tank mix to destroy the Colorado potato beetle and its larvae on planting potatoes and some other vegetable crops.
The composition of the tank mixture "Spark Triple Effect"
The composition of the Iskra Triple Effect drug includes the chemicals cypermethrin, permethrin, and imidacloprid, which cause fast death of adult beetles and their larvae when eating treated plants. The first 2 chemicals kill the pest in 1-2 hours, and imidacloprid provides plant protection for up to 30 days.
The composition of the drug is supplemented with potash dressing, which is absorbed by plants through the leaf surface and contributes to their rapid recovery from damage caused by pests. In addition, potassium increases productivity, improves the keeping quality of tubers, their quality (digestibility, lack of darkening during cooking).
Thus, the enhanced preparation in the form of a finished tank mixture has a triple effect:
- within 1-2 hours destroys pests;
- provides long-term protection of plants from pests (during flights, mass exit to the surface after hibernation, etc.);
- provides additional nutrition (potassium top dressing), which contributes to the rapid restoration of damaged plants.
Preparation of a solution of tank mixture
- 10 l of the solution use 1 powder (10.6 g),
- the powder is dissolved in 1 liter of pure water at room temperature,
- the mother liquor is thoroughly (at least 5 minutes) mixed until completely dissolved,
- add 9 l of water to the container and stir again,
- the resulting working solution is poured into a finely sprayed sprayer,
- residues on the same day are disposed of in designated areas away from water sources and sewage systems.
Distinctive features of the preparations "Commander" and "Spark Triple Effect"
"Commander" contains a substance that kills pests within 2 to 3 days, and retains its protective properties for 2-4 weeks. Recommended for preplant planting of potato tubers and green plants. Plants are treated at the beginning of the growing season, when the beetles only begin to appear on plantings after the winter period and their number is limited. With the number of beetles not exceeding the threshold of harmfulness, one treatment is enough.
The Triple Effect Spark is a drug for destroying the Colorado potato beetle in extreme conditions. Destroys pests within 1-2 hours. Recommended for large invasion of beetles, epiphytotic hatching of larvae or a weak reaction to another drug used. Enough disposable.
Potato Protection System by Technoexport Preparations
- Drugs are used separately and in a tank mixture. When used together, they significantly increase their effectiveness.
- Potatoes are processed 1 time during the growing season of the crop.
- In exceptional cases, both drugs can be used during the growing season. Reprocessing is carried out not earlier than 45 days from the day of the first spraying and not less than a month before harvesting.
- The optimal period of spraying is the phase of budding, the beginning of flowering or after flowering of the culture.
- Spraying is best done early in the morning or in the evening in dry, calm weather.
- When spraying with a small spray, it is necessary to thoroughly moisten the treated crops.
The plant protection system by processing ready-made tank mixtures allows you to:
- reduce the number of treatments and chemical load on plants by applying a single spray,
- use a professionally prepared tank mixture, which will reduce the damage to plants with improper or poorly prepared working solutions,
- reduce the cost of funds and time for the purchase of necessary preparations, their preparation and processing of plants.
“Commander” and “Triple Effect Spark” belong to the 3rd class of toxicity (moderately hazardous substance).
- During the spraying period, the site should not contain family members and animals, poultry.
- It is necessary to observe all measures of personal sanitary protection (headgear, bathrobe, goggles, respirator, trousers, closed shoes). - At the end of work, take a shower and change clothes.
- If the solution gets inside the body, rinse the stomach using an activated carbon solution, rinse your eyes under running water, consult a doctor.
- With strict observance of sanitary protection standards, drugs do not cause poisoning.
More information about the Commander, Iskra Triple Effect and other chemical pesticides can be found on the Technoexport website.