Platicerium, or Ploskorog - the most unusual of ferns
Ferns, despite the status of relic plants, never go out of style. And the ancient status does not stop them from surprising gardeners with exotic lines and unusual forms of growth. One of the most extravagant ferns is flat-speed. Their leaves are not just not similar to the luxurious waiyi of other members of the family, but also so horn-like that they seem more outlandish decoration than a real living plant. Platitceriums are epiphytes rare for ferns, developing with peculiar nests.
Florids require specific growing conditions, careful care and are not quite ordinary from a practical point of view. But the scrupulous care is more than offset by an unusually spectacular appearance: this plant can become the highlight of any collection.
- Green horns of exotic fern
- Care for the platycerium at home
- Pests and diseases of flatfields
- Possible problems in the development of the platyserium
- Methods of breeding platycerium
Green horns of exotic fern
As soon as platyceriums are not called: and flat-horned horses, and deer horns. And all the nicknames more than colorfully outline the main pride plicerium bicilvin (platycerium bifurcatum) and platycerium large (platycerium grande) - horn-like leaves. These are the two most common species of the most exotic of ferns in room culture. But the leaves alone do not exhaust the extravagance of the platyseriums.
Platycerium bifurcated - Unique epiphytic ferns. They develop on the bark or trunks of trees like epiphytic orchids, and this form of growth determines the specifics of their cultivation.
And here large platycerium It develops in a slightly different way: it forms original nests of green leaves, the wide and continuous lower part of which passes into horn-like endings characteristic of all platitceriums. The gradual blooming of leaves as if rolled into a tube, the contrast between young leaves with a whole edge and carved "deer horns" makes such a platicerium even more original.
Exotic fern looks like an animated antiquity. And this is not surprising. This is far from a modest plant, in which in nature the leaves reach 1 m in length, and in a room culture they are limited to 20-40 cm (only in greenhouses flat-hills are larger).
The leaves of the platyceriums are no less sporious than the fronds of other ferns. Light green leaves with beautiful white pubescence on the surface of the leaves grow in the form of bizarre in shape and dissected plates, the shape of which almost perfectly follows the outline of deer antlers.
But if you take a closer look, it becomes obvious that this fern, in addition to the "ceremonial" leaves from the buds, releases much less noticeable, but more important in the development of plants protective scaly leaves that develop on the bed and completely dry out, forming a kind of protective layer for the roots platycerium. It is thanks to scaly leaves that the plant gains the ability to accumulate nutrients and water.
The growth form of the platiceraums also determines how they are best presented in the interior:
- two-forked platycerium Looks better in ampel form, hanging baskets, unusual hanging structures and containers;
- large platycerium It is also good in large containers, in containers of unusual shape that emphasize the exotic status of the fern itself.
It is impossible to call platitceriums easy to grow plants. These are capricious, or rather exacting, to the conditions of growing a crop, which need specific care and strict control over temperature and humidity. It is better to undertake the cultivation of a flathorrow for flower growers who have experience in caring for exotics with specific requirements. The most difficult part in growing platycerium is maintaining stable conditions and constant environmental characteristics. That is why platyceriums are recommended to be grown in conservatories and greenhouses, terrariums. But since they do not need to create any extreme temperatures, with regular care, these rare ferns can be grown in ordinary room conditions.
Care for the platycerium at home
Poor speeds, regardless of the species to which the plant belongs, are similar in terms of lighting requirements. They can adapt to both intensely lit places and partial shade of any intensity, but it is not recommended to change parameters throughout the entire growing period. So immediately decide which plant - decoration of bright areas or shaded places - you will grow platycerium. Once adapted to the selected conditions, this fern will not be able to adapt to others.
Do not forget to ask about the usual level of lighting when buying. The exotic appearance of the platitceriums is as if created to be admired. Therefore, it is better to choose bright and slightly replaced places in the interior for it, and do not leave the fern on the windowsill: if you decide to start this relic culture, let it become the main emphasis in the interior of the room. Do not forget to adjust the lighting in winter so that it remains unchanged.
But lighting is far from the main guideline in finding the perfect place for a platitcerium in your home. The main task is to provide the fern with a warm, protected and moist location. Cold drafts, temperature changes, changing the regime of detention - not for the "antler".
During the period of active development, in the warm season, the platycerium feels comfortable in ordinary room temperatures from 18 to 25 degrees. But in winter, conditions should be changed to similar ones in lighting, but cooler in temperature: in the cold season, platiceriums should be kept in a temperature range from 12 to 15 degrees Celsius.
Watering and humidity
Platiceriums watered very specifically. And the thing is not only that for a flat-skin, you can use only soft water at room temperature. Watering procedures themselves should also be unusual. Platicerium can be watered:
- In the classical way, immediately draining the water from the pallets and letting the upper broadening of the substrate dry between the procedures (such watering is possible only for not overgrown, young plants in which scaly leaves do not interfere with the procedures and are extremely difficult for adult flat-shoulders);
- By the method of weekly immersion of pots with plants in a nutrient solution (the best way to effectively care for overgrown flat-footed trees with lying, hanging, huge leaves);
- By pouring water on the bed of leaves 1 time in 2-3 days (only for a large flat-tire and only if the plant was watered in this way before purchase and you received appropriate recommendations from the seller)
Winter irrigation regime for all platitceriums should be more restrained. Procedures are shortened, generally increasing the pause between watering for 2-3 days.
As for all ferns from among the not the most popular species, indicators of air humidity are extremely important for the platicerium. But the requirements for this growing parameter vary depending on the state of the plant. Immediately after the purchase and during the whole stage of getting used to the new conditions, flat-tires should be kept at air humidity from 80%. This humidity is best maintained during the first year of cultivation.
But after adaptation, the platiceriums become more resilient, and the more they grow in one place, the less humidity they need: indicators can be reduced from 80% to 50% (but not lower). But the main difficulty is not in monitoring indicators, but in methods that can be used for deer horns. It is strictly forbidden to spray high-speed tires; humidity can only be raised by installing pallets with wet moss or pebbles (or special humidifiers).
Dressings for platycerium
Like all ferns, ploskorost are not lovers of fertile soil and high levels of nutrients. Top dressing for them should be minimal, in small doses. During spring and summer, fertilizers are applied in half doses every 2 weeks. For platycerium, it is better to use special fertilizer mixtures for decorative foliage plants.
Substrate: coarse, fibrous, from a mixture of earths suitable for growing indoor orchids.
Transfer: only as necessary, with extreme caution. When changing the substrate to a new one, it is necessary to carefully handle both the rhizome itself and scaly brown leaves. They must not be damaged, much less removed. The classic frequency of transplantation is 1 time in 3 years.
Tanks for flatfire: Containers for all flatfires must be wide, but not too tall. Coarse drainage is laid at the bottom of the tanks. But it is better to plant this plant in hanging baskets or on a piece of bark, saw cut tree, twigs, etc.
Pests and diseases of flatfields
Scars are the most dangerous for this plant. Fighting them is very difficult, but possible. To clean the plants, it is impossible to combine regular washing of leaves with a sponge with a soap solution and subsequent treatment with insecticides. After all, for flat-tops, pubescence on leaves is an important protective tool and it is absolutely impossible to wipe them. Therefore, the fight against harmful insects should be limited only to the processing of special drugs.
A mealy mealybug is occasionally found on flathills. It is necessary to deal with it according to the same principles as with the scale shield.
If traces of pests are found, be prepared for the fact that the treatment will be long and spoil the plant for many years. Any, even the safest insecticides will leave traces and burns on the leaves, and it will take a lot of time to restore the attractiveness of the florida.
Possible problems in the development of the platyserium
- the appearance of brown spots or yellowing of the leaves under too hot conditions, poor watering;
- slow growth in low humidity or in a too small pot;
- blanching of leaves, lethargy of plates in too bright light;
- yellowing or drying of leaves at the ends, lack of growth, curvature, dullness with insufficient feeding or in too large containers;
- falling leaves, the dying off of young leaves at low air temperature, drafts, irrigation with cold or poor-quality water.
Methods of breeding platycerium
- Side shoots. Poroslides release siblings between overlying leaves. Children seem to grow between leaf blades, and it is not easy to separate them. During transplantation with a sharp knife, very carefully, trying not to touch the leaves, separate such a process from the mother bush and plant it as a separate plant. Before rooting, carefully monitor the humidity, increase the air humidity to 85-90%.
- Disputes (this method is used only on an industrial scale due to the extremely complex technique of growing young seedlings).