What our beds dream of, or Watering a drop
Good watering is the key to productivity! How do novice summer residents usually see this? Arrange more watering turntables, arrange, so to speak, the illusion of rain and moisture. Or pour scorching heat from the hose, creating the appearance of vigorous courtship of his garden, the neighbors' envy. But all would be fine if you do not take into account the damage that we can inflict by improper watering. In order to understand the possible consequences, I propose to consider the situation, on the other hand.
How do plants see it?
“Watering during the heat kills me and burns my leaves. How? At a physics lesson, they probably said that water droplets act on the principle of a magnifying glass through which the sun's rays penetrate and, as a result, you can get a burn. Did you skip this topic? My new flowers and ovaries are crumbling. And some fruits just crack before they ripen. Watering me at the end of the day not only adds a degree to my roots, but also brings them to a boil. And this cold water, which is watered me, simply introduces into a state of shock to the last leaf! Chi! Well, my roots are bogged down in the swamp that you bred, and I seem to get sick. Just promise that you won’t be mad at me for a bad harvest. ”
If plants could talk, then we have not heard that. But the main question remains open - how to properly water the plants? There are long-known watering rules, but we often forget about them.
7 principles of drip irrigation:
1. Water deeper. The deeper the watering, the better the stimulation of root growth and, as a result, the plant's resistance to external adverse factors.
2. Water under the root. To paraphrase Kozma Prutkov: “Look at the root!”, The same can be applied to watering. The leaves of the plant are not the main organ in need of watering, which cannot be said about its root.
3. The morning of the evening is wiser. The highest quality watering is done in the morning, when the soil has cooled down and the plant can be well nourished with water.
4. Better to underfill than to overfill. This rule applies to all occasions, not to mention watering. The lack of moisture in the plant is much easier to tolerate than the "swampiness", which causes rot and reduces the quality of the fruit.
5. Pour with warm water. There is no plant that cold water would not shock. Put yourself in his place. Try to provide your green pets a comfortable temperature. This can be achieved thanks to standing water in special garden barrels. You can also stretch a garden hose along the beds so that it warms up under the sun. During the watering of the beds, the water will have time to warm up when it passes through the heated hose.
6. Let the water soak. I think everything is clear here. Just watering should be done in small portions repeatedly for good absorption.
7. Water must be of high quality. This factor is also not the last value. The most useful water for plants is considered rainwater. But it is difficult to collect in the right amount, especially in the dry period. An option is to defend tap water, thereby allowing it to warm up.
So, the irrigation process is not a simple and costly work, which can be facilitated by ingenuity and a competent approach. I solved this problem by offering drip irrigation to my plants. This irrigation method is easy to manage, not costly and most importantly useful for plants! Drip irrigation came to us from arid Israeli places, where the task of harvesting while saving water resources was extremely urgent. Initially, this method was used in the form of clay pots with holes buried next to plants. The pots were filled with water and water leaked through the holes in small portions. Today, drip irrigation has modernized and entered the life of many gardeners. If you are not familiar with this innovative method, I suggest analyzing all the advantages and drawing the appropriate conclusions.
The main advantages of drip irrigation:
1. The plant will be watered carefully, economically and efficiently.
2. Weeds, diseases will be halved, and productivity will rise significantly.
Do you still need any arguments? If this is enough, then I will share the experience of drip irrigation in my country house.
6 decisive steps to drip irrigation:
1. First you need to buy the necessary equipment: drip tape, fittings for connection and a filter. All this is in specialized stores or markets.
2. Determine the source of water supply for our beds. For a drip irrigation system, it is unacceptable to exceed a pressure above 2 Atm. This is a very important aspect that affects the rate of droplet release. The lower the pressure, the slower the speed and vice versa.
And here there are some nuances:
- Water from a garden barrel. If water is taken from a garden barrel, then 1 m of water = 0.1 atmospheres. You will need to always make sure that the water level in it does not fall and does not exceed 1-2 meters.
- Water from a water tap. Excessive water pressure from a water tap is a minimum of 0.1 Atm and a maximum of 5 Atm. Therefore, here we need a special pressure regulator that will help control the pressure from the water supply.
3. The main element of the drip irrigation system is the drip tape. Inside it are built mini-droppers (at a distance of 10, 20 and 30 centimeters from each other), from which water is dosed. You need to decide what distance between the droppers inside the tape is right for you? To water the beds with cucumbers, I chose a distance of droppers of 20 cm. If your plants are planted a wide distance from each other, then droppers with a gap of 30 cm will do. The only drawback of the tapes is the shelf life of no more than 2 years.
4. Connect the so-called ball valve to the water tank or to the water supply. Be sure to install the filter at the beginning of the highway and periodically clean it from blockages. If you do not put a filter, then the droppers will quickly fail due to the sand that comes with water.
5. We lay from the beginning of the highway the usual HDPE pipe 16 mm, in which we make holes for mounting the splitters. This year I decided to use valves instead of such a splitter fitting. At the beginning of each garden I installed a valve on the base of the tape for the convenience of regulating the flow of water to plants. Suppose I don’t need to water one bed, I closed the valve, and the rest of the beds continue to be watered. Previously, if I needed to block one bed, I had to fold the entire tape. In the process, you will understand where to use a similar faucet, and where not.
6. When unrolling the tapes on their beds, fix them with brackets, which you can make yourself, so that the tape does not move from the desired point.
So, “drop by drop,” I brought relief to my country house not only to myself, but also to my plants. The crop has grown markedly and I have a lot of like-minded people in the neighborhood. By the way, on a budget, all drip irrigation equipment is quite cheap. There is also a low-budget way to organize drip irrigation, but this will require creativity and diligence from you. About this further
Plastic boom bottle
I think collecting the right amount of plastic bottles is not difficult. The main thing is that the bottles are at least 2 liters and have caps. The technology for creating one bottle dropper is not complicated: tighten the cap tightly, cut off the bottom, use holes to make holes and voila, done! The difficulty is in the number of bottles that you will need for the entire garden. Since each bottle will be dug next to the root of a single plant. Now do you understand what I meant when I talked about trying? You can not only dig in dropper bottles, but also hang them above the beds, attach to the hose and make a little rain. You can stir your imagination as you like, if only it was for the good of plants and not a burden to you. We set the bottle at an angle of 45 degrees at a depth of 15 cm. The disadvantage of this method is that it is advisable to install bottle droppers only when planting plants. And the second minus is the high risk of clogging holes. Try, experiment and share your ideas!
Have a good watering.
© Greenmarket - Read also the blog.