“No matter how beautifully the garden is cleaned, but if the lawns do not occupy most of the territory in it, it will never produce the full effect. Nothing elevates the beauty of plants like a green carpet. ” (from a letter from the gardener-decorator Demyur, 1862).
© Athena’s Pix
The undeniable advantages of lawns for humans: the surface of the lawn has a smooth neutral green tone, calming effect on the nervous system of a person, and also has a beneficial effect on well-being, giving rest to the eyes, restoring the nervous system, relieving general fatigue. And how easy it is to breathe, because the lawn cleans the air, significantly increasing the oxygen content in it. And in the hot time of the day (with good watering) the lawn turf evaporates a significant amount of moisture, which increases the air humidity and lowers its temperature.
Lawns ennoble the space of the garden and serve as an ideal backdrop for ornamental plants, emphasizing their beauty. Well, for our children and grandchildren, most of whom spend their summer holidays on our "hacienda", lawns are the best, most environmentally friendly natural playgrounds.
Lawn arrangement: the lawn can be broken throughout. It can be created in front of a terrace or a house. You can also make a lawn in the center of the garden composition, as decorated with flowering plants, it is very attractive.
© Hot Meteor
In order for the lawn to be of high quality - even, dense, without lunges, the soil under it is carefully prepared.
- First weeds are removed using the Roundup or Ground herbicide. Weeds will die in 1.5 - 2 weeks. After this, the plot can be plowed.
- Before digging, organic and mineral fertilizers are added to the site, then the soil should be carefully dug to the depth of a bayonet shovel.
- Smooth the excavated surface with a rake, breaking up clods of earth (on its surface there should be no lumps larger than a pea, otherwise this will cause uneven distribution of seeds over the area).
- Choose weed rhizomes.
- Immediately before sowing seeds, loosen the surface of the plot with a rake.
- Seeds must be sown manually scatter.
- After sowing, it sowed to close the seeds into the soil with rake movements from north to south and from east to west.
- Seal the seeds in the soil with the help of planks attached to the shoes, or compact them by rolling with a hand roller.
- For a friendly and timely emergence of seedlings, crops should be watered and covered with covering material.
The first mowing is carried out at a grass stand height of 10 - 12 cm.
Seeds are sown from May to September.
On a lawn it is better to grow grass of a mixture of not one variety, but several. Ready-made seed mixtures are available for sale: Sport Universal - for sports lawns. “Emerald” - for wet and cold places, “Favorite Park” - for shaded areas, “Cottage” - for growing under normal conditions.
You can make a good lawn mixture yourself, for example, this: red fescue (of different varieties), meadow bluegrass, perennial ryegrass, white and blueberry highland (tinea). These herbs are distinguished by emerald green with silver tints. Seeding rate per 1 m2 from 20 to 40 g.
A very important step in lawn care is mowing or mowing. They are carried out at a grass stand height of 10-12 cm with a lawn mower or scythe always at the same height: not lower than 4-5 cm from the soil surface. Therefore, do not be lazy to mow every week.
When mowing, do not leave small grass on the lawn. Frequent mowing improves tillering of herbs, contributing to the density of turf, it is pleasant to walk, run, play barefoot on such a lawn - this is not only pleasant, but also useful.
The last time the grass was mowed at the end of September was such that it managed to grow to 7-8 cm before frost.
© Ed Yourdon
A good lawn requires, in addition to mowing, frequent watering. Otherwise, in dry, hot weather, the grass burns out. Hose or sprinkler. It is better to water in the evening, 1 to 2 times a week abundantly, to well moisten the roots and soil.
Against the background of the lawn, the coloring and form of flowers in single and group plantings, separately lying stones, beautifully flowering shrubs, groups of plants and decorative design elements are clearly manifested. Planted plants should have effective decorative qualities: large bright flowers or beautiful leaves, be tall enough to stand out against the background of the lawn. For this purpose, perennial astilbe, peonies, delphinium, phlox, spray roses, lyatris, echinacea, muzzle, etc. are suitable. Long-flowering seedlings are planted from annual flowers: these are lavatera, tagetes (tall), zinnia, dahlias, decorative sunflower; from biennials - Turkish carnation, stockroza. Ornamental plants can be placed in groups, the size and number of plants in which depends on the area of the lawn. Landing contours are recommended to be made smooth, twisting and strict.
- Encyclopedia of the gardener and gardener. O. Ganichkina, A. Ganichkin.